This gracious brick, free-standing home with private side garden, carriage house and additional buildable lot stands on one of the original thirty-one lots offered for sale in 1749, on a plat originally owned by Augustine Washington Jr., the half-brother of George Washington. Built in 1812 and renovated in the 1850's to add Victorian details, including a Mansard roof, it is surrounded by formal gardens with growing beds, mature evergreens, boxwood, hellebore and hydrangea and roses. Rare to these older properties is the original carriage house with a full kitchen and bath that can be used as a separate apartment, artist studio, office or guest suite. The house is representative of the traditional historic Alexandria "townhouse" having a rectangular form with entrance hall at the side and two adjacent formal rooms. The entry with vestibule reveals a glass interior door opening to a gracious hall with heart pine floors and wide openings that frame a sophisticated, formal living and dining room. Extensive decorative moldings, including matching mantels for the two wood-burning fireplaces, accent sun-washed rooms joined by an elaborate arch, with Corinthian columns and a keystone and gorgeous cast iron radiators. Built-ins in the dining room provide storage and display space, with French doors that open to the garden terrace.An inviting eat-in kitchen with gas fireplace has custom cabinetry, granite counters, stainless appliances and an enameled French range with six burners, a simmer plate and two ovens. Shuttered triple-hung windows and French doors open onto a private garden with a fountain and rose trellis.Beyond is a family room with arched windows illuminating this space with light throughout the day. A coffered ceiling, heart pine floors with radiant heating underneath, a gas fireplace, built-in bookshelves with cupboards below and generous space for lounging. Open the screened French doors on two sides to let in the breeze and the sound of the fountain.